Monday, July 20, 2009

The Struggle for Blog Identity or: Macaroni and Cheese Recipe

I am doomed to never be a famous book-deal-era blogger, primarily because I am not funny, but at least partially because I don't stick to one topic. Maybe "1000 Things to Drink, Eat, or Plug Into Your Wall" will some day be a huge best seller, but for now, I'll settle for the three readers I have.

Usually, my cooking (when not just for nutritional necessity) revolves around a need to relax—that's when I make bread—but occasionally I will have a very specific craving. This weekend I could not stop thinking about macaroni and cheese. I am not a good blogger, nor do I ever actually measure my ingredients, so what follows may be the most useless recipe ever, as I can't in good conscience stand behind these numbers.

1 16oz Box of tubular pasta... penne I think
3/4 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 lb shredded Jarlsberg (Swiss) cheese
1/2 white onion, diced
1/4 lb double-smoked bacon, diced
2 tbs fresh chopped garlic
3 tbs all purpose flour
3 cups milk
maybe 1/2 cup of leftover white wine (optional)
Panko
Black pepper, freshly ground
Salt, to taste

This usually works well for me if I put the pasta water on to boil at roughly the same time that I start the roux and start preheating the oven (350°). Start the bacon, onions, black pepper and garlic on low-medium heat until the fat gets cooking out and the onions are turning clear. This bacon I used is pretty meaty, so high heat will over cook it before enough fat comes out. At this point, add the flour, browning it and getting it mixed in nicely. Add the wine, which should turn things into a nice paste. Once that gets heated up, add the milk a bit at a time, stirring to make a thin gravy. Usually the water is boiling at this point, so you can start the pasta. Add half or a little more of the cheeses to the sauce and go ahead and turn off the heat. Taste it at this point to see if you think you should put salt in it. That bacon isn't as salty as normal bacon, so I needed a little.

Put your semi-cooked pasta (you want it to keep cooking in the pan with the cheese) in a pan that will hold it, pour on the cheese sauce, and stir in the rest of the cheese, so you get some nice cheesy pockets. Top with panko, and bake it for like 40 minutes. Take it out of the oven, turn the oven off, and run downstairs to the bodega to get some drinks. By the time you get back it will have set up a bit and will be very delicious.

No pictures, and this will feed 5 people, realistically, because everyone will want a second helping. Also, it's kind of a dry, un-creamy style, which is how I like it. If you are skilled, you could probably adjust the sauce to macaroni ratio in order to get it creamier.

No comments: